Sunday, December 02, 2007

The BCS isn't a mess...

...it's a disaster.

In my last post I touched on the chaos surrounding the selection process for the BCS bowl games - particularly around the at-large selection which would determine who gets bids to the bowl games aside from the National Championship game. That's because I thought that Missouri and West Virginia had the lock on the NCG. However, both Missouri and West Virginia lost their Conference Championship games yesterday. So now what?

Who are the number one and two teams in the nation?

Full disclosure: I'm one of the world's biggest Georgia fans, so I am totally partial to the bulldogs. So my two cents - whatever it is worth - is obviously clouded by the love and loyalty I have for my team. But here is what I think.

Going into last week, Ohio State and Georgia were numbers 3 & 4 in the BCS poll. One would think that since the number 1 & 2 teams lost yesterday that Ohio State and Georgia would move up, taking the 1 & 2 spots and play for the National Championship. But neither Ohio State nor Georgia played yesterday for their Conference Championships. So do they really deserve to be in the 1 & 2 spots?

If I put on my fairness cap, I'd say - No, they don't deserve to automatically move into the 1 & 2 spots. Ohio State is NOT the best team in the country, but they will probably move up to the 1 spot. And if that happens, Georgia should take the 2 spot. It isn't fair to move Ohio State up, not having played for the past two weeks, and not move Georgia up for not playing this weekend. But life isn't fair and this is what will probably happen.

Ohio State will move up to the 1 spot. And LSU will move up to the 2 spot, putting Ohio State and LSU in the National Championship Game. I like LSU. They are my second favorite team in the SEC and they've had a very strong season. The two games they lost (though they are still losses) were all lost in overtime. They've played great football in the most difficult conference in the country, beat VA Tech by 41 points, and won the SEC Championship. But I wasn't impressed with LSU yesterday in the Championship game. And I know I am biased, but Georgia would've whomped the LSU team that I saw play Tennessee yesterday.

Some people think VA Tech should be a contender. But COME ON! They play in a weak conference AND it bears repeating LSU beat them by forty one points. FORTY ONE points!!!

Oklahoma is also a contender. If LSU doesn't get the 2 spot, I'm hoping they do. They are good - no they are GREAT! And they beat what was the number 1 team last night. No wait - they crushed what was the number 1 team last night. CRUSHED! It was fantastic. (more full disclosure: I'm also an Oklahoma fan. They are my second favorite team in the NCAA. *not to be confused with LSU, my second favorite team in the SEC.)

If we put all of the computer scoring and voting aside, I'd say with all honesty that I think Georgia and USC are the best teams in the country and would make for the most exciting National Championship Game. Kirk Herbstreit agrees with me.

USC lost to Stanford, but they had a hurt QB. They've played a tough schedule and they're good. Really good. I firmly believe that USC could beat any team in the nation right now - even Georgia.

Georgia is one of the top two teams in the country right now. My reasoning is not based on loyalty or bias. It's based on these facts:
  • We play in the most difficult conference in the nation.
  • We are the only team that has won our last 6 games
  • We are 4-0 against ranked teams.
  • We beat Florida by 12 points.
  • We beat Auburn by 25 points.
  • We held Kentucky to 13 points.
  • We lost to South Carolina (sniffle, sniffle) early in the season, but that was before the BCS even started the voting process, so it shouldn't really count. (a little far fetched I know)
  • Jesse Palmer says Georgia is the hottest football in college football right now. And he is so hot that his opinion should count more. (ok - i know this isn't exactly an argument)
I've got one last point that I think is fact, but some (read: crazy people) may argue is just my opinion. Look at our roster. It's composed of 67 Freshman, 25 Sophomores, 23 Juniors, and 23 Seniors which makes for a young team that kicked off our season with a starting line full of freshman and sophomores. Of course it's going to take some time for them to gel. But because of Georgia's schedule, we didn't have time since we started playing conference games week two of the season. Georgia is not the same team that lost to South Carolina and Tennessee. If the BCS National Championship game is supposed to be played by the two teams playing the best football right now, then Georgia should absolutely play USC for the National Championship Game.

Again, I know this isn't going to happen and I'll just have to wait until the BCS selection show tonight to find out where the cards are going to fall. And I'm okay with whatever happens (unless VA Tech gets a bid to the NCG) as I'm certain our young team will get their chance to play for the National Championship soon...probably next year. Although I feel like we are always saying - wait 'til next year.

Go DAWGS!

No comments: