Monday, December 31, 2007

Year in Review

Usually I take the time to recap the year with one big fat hot list. However, I’m so exhausted from the last four months of work and travel that I can barely remember what happened in 2007. And the only things I can clearly remember are things not worth mentioning…like my birthday totally sucking beyond all belief. Why is it that the sucky things are the ones that stick out most clearly in my mind?

Anyway, there are some things of the year worth noting.

I made a huge leap in leaving the corporate world to start my own thing with three business partners that were, at the time, total strangers. Launching our business has taught me so much about endurance, faith, trust, and venture capitalists. It has been the most challenging endeavor of my career thus far. And I’m really looking forward to what the new year will bring to our business.

I experienced heartache that I never thought possible. While this is one of those negative things that should be forgotten, it has some positive outcomes. I now know what it feels like to love someone to your full capacity. It gave me a peek into what is possible when you totally open your heart to someone. Though it would’ve been so much cooler had his heart not belonged to someone else. However, I learned to love AND that it is okay to be sad. And that you just have to let the sadness play out because it always gets better.

I saw some fantastic live music. Even though I'm the only person I know in NYC that missed the Daft Punk show. Thanks to EW, I discovered the Vanmega monthly mixed tapes which brought some great new music into my itunes. My favorite album of the year was The Reminder by Feist, even thought there is a song on that album I can’t listen to without crying.

I got to see my Dawgs stomp Auburn live. It was extraordinary.

My sister had major brain surgery this fall. This event brought on a feeling of fear that was almost suffocating. It was a feeling that clouded my world for weeks. Therefore it seems to be worth noting. She is fine and this surgery will probably change her life forever – which makes the whole thing worth it.

Finally, I’ve had more time than usual to spend with my amazing friends. I’m one of the luckiest people in the world because I have the best friends. Ever. And through my travels I’ve been able to see my non-NYC crew more often. My flexible summer schedule gave me more time to spend with my NYC friends, who, honestly, may be the largest and most amazing collection of people on the planet. We have the most fun.

Anyway, that’s all I’ve got. Now I have to get ready to go to a New Year’s Eve party which I’m dreading. Not because I don’t want to go, but just because I hate New Year’s Eve. Talk to you next year.

No comments: